Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To Be Found Faithful

     I was just a college kid and I needed a job.  Tough times didn't allow my parents much opportunity to help me financially back then and my grades and SAT scores didn't swing the doors open either.  If I was to attend college, it would have to be local and I would have to finance it.  I was directed to see a lady at the college who helped place students in jobs.  Her name was Nancy Goode and I had only recently met her at the church I had just started attending.  She greeted me with her beautiful smile and after a short talk said she had just the job.  Her husband worked at the Labor Department and needed a secretary, but I had to talk to him first.  So, I went, half excited and half scared.  What if he didn't like me...regardless if his wife did?  I didn't know what to expect, but who I met that day was a kind, easy going gentleman, who was more concerned about my spiritual welfare than anything else.  The interview portion of our visit didn't last long as it soon turned into just talking about my life...and Jesus!  Mr. Goode, as I called him then, made me feel at ease.  It was like talking to someone I had known all my life, like a close relative or a dear family friend.  We connected instantly and I left the office that day as his new secretary. 
     It didn't take long for "Mr. Goode"  to become "Mr. Tommy."  For the next six and a half years we worked closely..sometimes as two peas in a pod, and at others as Clash of the Titans!  We disagreed on our filing system the most and re-did it countless times.  Most of the time the case files stayed in stacks under my desk.  Our job, rather, Mr. Tommy's job, was to collect restitution to the State from those who fraudulently took unemployment insurance benefits.  If the person would not pay back the money or stalled, the next step was to seek an arrest and take them to court.  I said "our job" only because Tommy had hopes that if another field agent position opened up, I would be already trained (with the exception of having a badge for court appearances) and could easily take the job.  I handled most of the case files that involved cooperative people, while he took on those who were beligerent about their situation.  Often they were the ones who would make office visits, probably hoping to talk Mr. Tommy into giving them more time or letting them off the hook.  What they didn't know was that what awaited them was far more important than a simple office visit. 
     Tommy Goode loved Jesus.  And he loved to share Jesus with everyone he met.  His job at the GDOL was to pay the bills.  His real occupation was to tell others about Jesus, at every given opportunity.  His office was just a place to do it on a regular basis!  A person would come and sit on the small sofa in his office and talk about how they didn't know what they did was wrong.  He'd listen and explain to them just how wrong they actually were and discuss payment plans.  Once the business at hand was completed, he'd turn the conversation to a personal talk and before long, he'd get up to close the office door.  Just before doing so, he would lean around the doorway to my desk and give me the "signal."  It was just a quick gesture with his hands to let me know to be praying at that moment.  More times than not, the person in his office walked away a new creation in Christ Jesus!  Tommy would have that look on his face, that twinkle in his eye, knowing that God was glorified once again!  He loved to share with people how Jesus could change their life.  He loved it!  He didn't wait for opportunity, he often created the opportunity!  He got together with a close friend at one time and made a little booklet.  It was simply the Gospel of John in a burgandy binder and on the inside cover was the title "Not For Sale."  It was his way of sharing that grace and salvation were free!  Monday nights would find him attending church visitation or CWT, a witness training visit.  He also had the chance to go to Russia...just to do what he loved best...tell others about Jesus. 
     During those years, I leaned on his guidance often.  He always took time to listen if I needed to talk and would pray, not just for me, but with me.  Not many people can say that about their boss.  But he was more than a boss.  He was a friend and a mentor.  He was a protector and an encourager.  He was quick to praise and just as quick to chastise me.  Whether it be my attitude or my hair cut... he didn't hold back his opinion!  I recall when I got my hair cut really short, he politely said it looked okay....for a boy!  He gave opinions about my wardrobe, my perfume, my dating choices!  There were even a few times he tried to play cupid!  He was certainly proud of me, though, when true love finally did happen and my "fellow" soon became my husband.  He was proud that I didn't compromise and settle for just any guy, and his approval of my David meant so much.  I asked him if he would play his saxaphone at our wedding (oh, he was a wonderful musician and singer!).  He agreed and recruited fellow/former band mate, Stan, to play the keyboards, and for one of the songs, his son Tracy sang lead.  I was told after the wedding by a relative that it was the best wedding ceremony music they had ever heard!  And it was indeed beautiful!  What was incredible to me was that all he and Stan had was a cassette of the songs I wanted.  No sheet music.  They just listened to the song and played it as if they had written it!  Yes, he was that good!
     Other than Jesus and his family and music (and perhaps his dogs!) I would say hunting and fishing ranked rather high for him!  Much of my field agent training came on his hunting and fishing days!  And, of course, he would often take along someone who needed to know about Jesus!  He was just like that.  He would find someone to pour into.  At times, it came with a price - broken trust, a wounded heart, discouragement.  But during the time he spent with that individual, he did all he could to help them.  He would take time to teach them about Jesus and help them learn how to study the Word.  He would provide advice and guidance, even putting himself in harm's way to help them.  Tommy had a God given boldness to do whatever it took to reach out to them and draw them away from the darkness that held them captive.  For him, love was indeed an action word, and he put it in action time and again!
     I look back on those years as his "Girl Friday" as he liked to call me.  (He also liked to call me Blank, but I won't talk about that!)  We probably spent most of our down time talking.  About what?  Anything and everything!  We studied the Bible together (yes, and on government property!), shared life stories and learned life lessons, cried some, prayed alot, and laughed so much!  He had a great laugh!  My "dumb blonde" antics had him in stitches quite often (hence the nickname, Blank!).  I didn't mind getting his coffee (even though a fellow female co-worker chastised me for doing so), and he often got mine!  And he would include me on lunch dates with his supervisors when they came to town (Aunt Fanny's every time!).  Tommy was probably the best boss a college student could ask for, as he always gave me time to study, permission to listen to great music, great preaching....and Rush Limbaugh!  Yes, there were those days when he'd have me wanting to pull every last strand of my hair out!  But he more than made up for it when he treated me as his own!  He called me "kiddo" alot or "my girl"  or "my kid."  I looked up to him as any daughter would her dad.
     The past 13 years have found me busy.  Often too busy.  Of that I am convinced.  I resigned in October of 1998 in order to attend college full time.  I was newly married and it wasn't long before our first child was born.  I saw Mr. Tommy some, at first, but as the years rolled by, the visits became less.  His health began getting bad and I kept telling myself that I needed to see him.  I finally decided I would write him.  I wanted to tell him how much he meant to me and how his involvement in my life was not a coincidence, it wasn't fate or chance - it was intended by God.  I wanted him to know that he had made such a lasting impact on my life, that the lessons he taught me, I teach to my own children.  I thought of sitting at the computer and typing it out, but decided a hand written letter would be better.  I thought about it again this past Saturday, and decided that as soon as I had the chance to sit down with a few minutes I would do it.
     Tommy went home to be with the Lord Sunday morning.  I never wrote the letter.  I'm sure he knew how I felt about he and Nancy both....but still, I wanted to tell him.  Tommy Goode wasn't just someone I knew.  He stepped in and was like a father to me back then.  He deserved to hear that.  But I won't dwell on it.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, and as Tommy's little sister in the faith, I know that I will see him again...and I'll be able to thank him.  I saw his body in a casket tonight, but Tommy's story has not ended.  In fact, it has just begun!  The only thing that has ended is his suffering.  I'll get to see my mentor and friend again.  It's not something I just hope about.  It's is something that I know for certain. 
     I remember the last day I worked at the Labor Department.  I was ready for a change.  I was ready to pursue my education.  But as I left, I found myself crying like a baby, as I made my final rounds, hugging necks, and saying goodbye.  And in a few hours, I will attend Tommy's funeral to do that again... to say goodbye.  Yes, it's a temporary goodbye.  But I would like the priviledge to say, honestly, it's never easy.  One thing that brings comfort is knowing that twinkle is gleaming in Tommy's eyes!  While we were receiving the sad news of his passing, he was hearing from the mouth of his Lord and Savior Jesus, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!"  And, indeed, Tommy Goode most certainly was.

1 comment:

  1. Crying. What a sweet post about a dear man! I didn't know him that well but Shaun did and we had met on many an occasion. Which usually resulted in him teasing me one way or another. ;) He will be missed. I know his family appreciates your kind words. And as he cheers us on from above I know he is as happy as a man can be!

    ReplyDelete